Answered By: Anna Kate Tippett - Sarasota County Libraries Last Updated: Feb 17, 2021 Views: 94
This is the 18th year the Sarasota County library system has participated in the "One Book, One Community" program, which started in 1996 in Seattle to help foster the expression of ideas within the community through the shared love of reading. One Book engages participants in reading and thoughtful conversation by sponsoring a community-wide reading experience, and hosting programs to explore the themes of the featured book. The Book Selection Committee typically spends many weeks reading and reviewing books.
The 2021 One Book selection is Suncoast Empire: Bertha Honoré Palmer, Her Family, and the Rise of Sarasota by Frank A. Cassell. Please click here to see current availability or to place a hold on physical copies of the book. It is also available in a book club bag. Ebook copies of the book are also available in Cloud Library, Hoopla, and OverDrive/Libby (includes copies for Kindles).
The One Book programs taking place in 2021 will be considered a part of Sarasota County's Centennial celebration this year.
Finding One Book Sarasota Events
- Click here to view our online calendar.
- Now click on the Filters button.
- Scroll down and open the drop-down menu for Event Category.
- Click the box next to One Book Sarasota so a checkmark appears.
- To see all One Book events at all libraries, click Apply.
You can also choose to only view One Book events at specific library locations.
- Complete steps 1 through 4 above to open the calendar and choose One Book Sarasota as the event category.
- Now scroll down and open the Library Location menu.
- Click on the box next to the name of each library you'd like to see One Book events for so that a checkmark appears. You can choose as many as you'd like. Due to COVID-19, many of our events for One Book Sarasota 2021 may be virtual this year rather than in person. To see our online programs, check the box next to "Virtual Events."
- Click Apply.
You should now see all of the One Book events at the location or locations you selected for the month you're currently viewing. You can change the month you're viewing using the arrow buttons on either side of the month at the top of the screen.
Some One Book programs and events do require registration. Any program or events with this symbol must be registered for prior to the program.
Register for a One Book program/event
- Once you find a program or event you’d like to register for, click on the event title.
- You will now be directed to that program or event’s page. You should see a box with registration information near the middle of your screen. This box contains information about the program or event’s registration. It will tell you if it is not yet open for registration, in which case it will provide you with the dates and times it will open and close for registration. This time period can vary and is set by the staff member running the event or program. It will also tell you if registration is closed, either because it is full or because the deadline for registering has passed. If it is still open for registration and isn’t yet full, then the box will tell you the date and time registration will close and how many people can still register for the event or program.
- To register for the event or program, scroll down until you see the registration form. Fill out the form, and then click the red Register button. All fields with a red asterisk * must be filled out. Some events or programs might require an email address, and some might not. In order to receive confirmation of your registration, you must provide your email address.